Scholarship is defined as a grade point average of 3.5 or better.
Character is defined by NHS as someone who consistently exemplifies desirable qualities of behavior such as truthfulness, honesty and reliability, courtesy, concern and respect for others.
Leadership is defined by NHS as “taking the initiative in class and school activities” and “the willingness to yield one’s personal interests for the interest of others. This involves training and advising others to attain the same objectives.”
Service is defined by NHS as “willingness to work for the benefit of those in need without monetary compensation or without recognition.” Junior and senior students eligible for nominations are rated by a faculty committee. Academic eligibility alone is not sufficient for membership in NHS.
St. Mary’s offers local chapters of several national honor societies. Criteria for selection are aligned with national requirements
The National English Honor Society:
The following are the national criteria for membership in NEHS:
Attendance at SMHS for the equivalent of one semester prior to being considered. If special circumstances merit, the semester regulation may be waived.
- Completion of the equivalent of two semesters of English prior to induction as members.
- The achievement of a minimum overall and English grade point average of 3.0 prior to induction as members.
- Submission of application with an original writing sample.
- Submission and payment of the new member enrollment ($15) via NEHS Connect website.
The Science National Honors Society:
Membership in the SNHS is conferred during the last two years of secondary school education. A student must have and maintain a 3.0-grade point average (4.0 scale) and a 3.5 in all science courses to be a member. In addition, the following qualifications must be met and maintained:
- A member must be enrolled in at least one honors science class during or prior to the eleventh grade.
- A member must be enrolled in at least one honors or AP science course during or prior to the senior year.
World Language Honor Societies:
St. Mary’s offers chapters of the national honor societies for Spanish, French, and Latin. Induction into the honor societies is by invitation. Students are eligible to be inducted in the junior or senior year when they meet the following qualifications:
- Applicants must have completed level III of the target language.
- Applicants must have an overall GPA of 3.0.
- Applicants must maintain an A average (90%) across all language classes.
- Transfer applicants must have completed at least one semester of language at St. Mary’s High School.