A fundamental objective of the school is to make available a Catholic education. An essential part of the educational program is furthering the knowledge and nurturing a deep sense of value of the Catholic Faith. Another basic objective of the school is, through the development of excellent academic programs and an encouraging social surrounding, to provide an environment which is conducive to both the student’s academic growth and self-discipline. Inherent throughout the educational program is the advancement of positive attitudes toward all the races, sexes and creeds.
To support the stated objectives, certain policies, rules and guidelines have been developed by the St. Mary’s School Board. The guidelines which have been adopted that pertain to admission to the school and the annual re-admission are stated below:
St. Mary’s has a principle obligation to registered parishioners who are practicing Catholics. Therefore,
a. Regarding admission, preference will be given to children of parents who are practicing Catholics.
b. New parishioners are expected to submit a letter from their former pastor stating that they are practicing Catholics.
- Parishioners with siblings, parishioner alumni.
- Catholic Alumni
- Non-parishioner Catholic with sibling.
- Non-parishioner Catholic.
- Non-Catholic with sibling.
- Non-Catholic Alumni
*Final decisions on admissions rest with the Admissions Committees. The term "parishioner" is defined as: Any family who is a registered and regularly conributing through the use of St. Mary's Church envelopes.
Age Requirements for Admission
Students must be five years old by September 1 for entrance into Kindergarten and six years old by September 1 for entrance into 1st grade.
- All prospective kindergartners and first graders will be tested to prevent school failure through early identification of developmental learning deficiencies that would adversely affect their school performance.
- Transfer students will undergo testing prior to their admittance.
- Exceptions to the above guidelines will be rare. Requests for exceptions will be given serious individual consideration by the Administration. Please be advised that the birthdate requirement for entrance to St. Mary's Elementary School has changed. A child must reach the birthdate for Kindergarten and First Grade by September 1st. This new cut off date will be absolute with respect to Kindergarten and First Grade. He or she must be five years old by September 1st for entrance into Kindergarten and six years old by September 1st for entrance into First Grade.
We are committed to supporting your family through the admissions process and answering your questions. Please do not hesitate to contact our Admissions Office at 410-990-4135 for appointments or general information. We are looking forward to getting to know you and your child.