St. Mary’s Parish was established in 1853 with the arrival in Annapolis of members of the Congregation of the Most Holy Redeemer (Congregationis Sanctissimi Redemptoris—C.Ss.R.—Redemptorists). Before then St. Mary’s was administered as a mission station by the Society of Jesus (Jesuits), who had been coming to Annapolis since 1704 or earlier. The property on which St. Mary’s Church and Rectory are located was given to the Redemptorists in 1852 by four granddaughters of Charles Carroll of Carrollton, the only Catholic signer of the Declaration of Independence, whose birthplace and long-time home also is on the property. Conditions of the gift were that “The House, garden, and enclosure back and front, to be always consecrated to Religion” and that Mass be offered once a month for the four donors, their parents, and their grandfather. The original mission church (built in 1822) and its property—where the schools are now located—was given to the Redemptorists in 1853.
St. Mary's Parish History Timeline by Century:
View detailed timeline of important dates for Catholism in Maryland.